Sunday, October 20, 2013

Icebound Schooner Spotted on Street View


Today, on one of my epic Sunday Street View exploration trips across the frozen wastes of the Svalbard archipelago in the Arctic Ocean, I came across this Street View of the schooner Noorderlicht.

I couldn't help wondering what the schooner was doing sitting ice trapped off the coast of Svalbard. Luckily Noorderlicht has its own website and I quickly discovered that the Noorderlicht hibernates icebound every winter in Tempelfjorden, Svalbard, which is where it appears to have been when the Street View sled wandered by.

Next I couldn't help wondering where the Noorderlicht is now. So I headed over to MarineTraffic to see if I could discover its current location from its onboard AIS. It looks like the Noorderlicht currently isn't too far away from its home port. MarineTraffic reports its last tracked position just off the coast of Longyearbyen, Svalbard.

No comments: